Wednesday, April 15, 2009

"Rows and Furrows" Quilt



As September ended, and October 2008 began...I found myself anxious, worried, stressed, and depressed. It would have been so easy for me to fall back into familiar patterns...turning inward, shutting loved ones out, curling up in the fetal position and sleeping the trouble away. This time...I chose a difference response. I remembered two keys of recovery. The first key was my favorite definition of insanity. "Insanity is: doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results." The second key was a quote I think of often..."When I got busy, I got better." So...I decided the most constructive thing I could do to stay busy was piece together a scrappy quilt top. My friend Dee donated some half square triangle blocks as well as other blocks of light and dark fabrics from her stash. I picked through my stash including "Bob the Builder" fabrics from Bryce's quilt...Laurel Burch pieces from a "Bountiful Blessings" wall hanging...assorted Christmas fabrics left over from my "Christmas Sampler", "Sssssilly Safari" charm squares from Roslin's sweatshirt jacket, a scrap from Mom's skirt hem...and began sewing. I didn't think I would ever finish all those 9 patch blocks!!! But finish them I did! As the top grew in size my excitement grew with it! This quilt was destined to be Jaclyn's from the start. I finally finished piecing the top in February 2009. The Cozy Quilters in Lenoir machine quilted it. I picked it up in March...sewed the binding around the quilt and hand stitched it down to finish! WHEW! Just in time for Jaclyn's birthday last Saturday...April 11. The dark days of October are a fading memory and I find myself grateful for Spring...for this season of awakening and opportunities to start fresh again.

No comments:

Post a Comment