Thursday, April 16, 2009

Looking Back




On this day...ten years ago, my life as I had known it was changing. I've often said (somewhat jokingly) that I believe in reincarnation because I've lived a life different from my life today. I was in heavy duty training for the "trip of my life". My cousin Alan and I were leaving for Nepal in just a few days for 3 1/2 weeks of trekking in the Himalayas. Romantically, I had fallen hard for my "National Guard buddy" (as Karen once called him). As Dick and I began our relationship...he was flabbergasted that I would choose to go to Southeast Asia...knowing what he knew from his time in Viet Nam. However, not wanting me to go unprepared...he set about accompaining me on "training hikes". On this particularly gorgeous day, 16 Apr 1999, Alan, Don and Karen, Dick and I set out to Stone Mountain in Traphill for a hike across the granite face. Little did I know that Dick was planning to ask me to marry him!! What better place than high atop Stone Mountain! Our destiny became "set in stone". Dick has told his daughter Maggie what he had planned and she was horrified that he didn't have a ring to give me. She insisted on loaning one of her rings to make it official! (Thanks Maggie!!) I can't imagine a more perfect proposal...and I'm so lucky to have had my very dearest "buddies" with me at the time!

1 comment:

  1. Sheree, you have a way of speaking that is elegant and honest. I enjoy the photos and stories.
    Jackie (Karen's friend)

    ReplyDelete